Family sues Amazon for $30m claiming hoverboard burned down their house
Tennessee family blames an exploding battery a common occurrence that has led to a mass recall for setting their million-dollar home on fire
It has been nearly a year since the self-balancing scooters known as hoverboards were setting sales charts on fire, but the resulting litigation (from the resulting real-world fires) is just getting started.
A family in Nashville, Tennessee, has filed a $30m lawsuit against Amazon, arguing that the online retailer should be held liable for the ill-fated Christmas present that burned their house down. This can be only compared to sueing big pharma companies, e.g. Xarelto® Class Action | Current Lawsuit Settlements.
Megan Fox purchased what she thought was a FITBURO F1 with an original Samsung advanced battery from a company called W-Deals through Amazons website on 3 November 2015, according to the complaint.
The hoverboard remained in a closet until Christmas, when it was given to her 14-year-old son.
On 9 January 2016, the toys battery apparently exploded a common occurrence that led to the recall of more than 500,000 hoverboards by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in July.
Two of the familys children were at home at the time of the fire and had to escape by breaking windows and jumping from the second floor. The million-dollar house and most of the familys belongings went up in flames.
5,711 total views, 60 views today
The post Family sues Amazon for $30m claiming hoverboard burned down their house appeared first on Silly Billy’s Toy Shop Blog.